Saturday, January 12, 2013

Your Questions Answered


Your Questions Answered- Homeschooling Changes

I have received  a lot of questions lately. Please extend me some grace in not answering as swiftly as I would have liked. Some of you sweet ones have waited much longer than you should have to. :)

I have received a lot of questions about homeschooling and what the "new changes" are that I have been feverishly working on. 

" I also saw on your recent post, that you're re-doing schedules and curriculum. As with nursing...I'm only 2 years into our homeschooling adventure, and the curriculum/lack of GOOD curriculum makes my head spin. Just wondering what you may be switching to/or are using."



"I am wondering if you have any advice on beginning to homeschool? Choosing curriculum, balancing all ages (ours are 7,4,2, and 4 months), and keeping your sanity. I would appreciate anything you might have to say about this!
Thanks so much!"

Homeschooling!!!

What a wonderful journey you are about to embark on with the Lord.  For without HIM, you are headed on a path down to discouragement and failure!
I do not profess to know all there is to know about homeschooling. What I share is merely the knowledge that I have gleaned! And I still do not have all of the answers. :)

When I first began my homeschooling journey I had four children  ages 6, 4, 2 and an itty bitty newborn. And even though we knew the Lord was calling us, we were so focused on the curriculum. Not only did I not know anyone who homeschooled, but I also never knew there was such a thing as a homeschool conference. :)

As time went on and I met a few other homeschool mommas, I was still very much focused on the academic part of homeschooling. And i missed many a day fretting about what I wasn't getting done.

Homeschooling is not merely about academics. To limit it to only that would not allow the true beauty of homeschooling to shine.

Homeschooling is about discipling your children. About pouring into them! Sharing those extra special moments with them! Living life with them! Laughing with them!



"Is there an idea, more radical, in the history of the human race than turning your children over to total strangers who you know nothing about, and having those strangers work on your child’s mind, out of your sight, for a period of twelve years?"
—John Taylor Gatto


Thank you to my dear friend Ashley for thinking of me and sending me this wonderful quote.
I love you!!!!


SPENDING THEIR LIVES WITH THEM! So that when the day comes that they marry and leave our homes we can look back and know that we did al we could to train them to love God and others! Of course our jobs as parents will never be done. But the importance of those years that they are with us until the leave from under our wings. 

When homeschooling many ages it is important to keep in mind that things will look different each day. Some days you will get so much on your list done. , you may spend all of your time training children, or even in a chair rocking a sick baby and tending to a houseful of sick children.

See life as a homeschooling momma as always a work in progress. Like a giant cake you eat one little bite at a time.

-The laundry will always be a work in progress
-The kitchen will always be a work in progress
-The house will be completely clean , but only between the hours of bedtime and wake up. :)

Keep these in mind. Cherish the time you have to nurse those sweet babies! It goes by too fast!

I have a dear friend whom I deeply admire.  When her newest baby was born, she wouldn't nurse well. So my friend began pumping. Her baby is 8 months now, I think. And she still pumps every 1 1/2 and then still has to feed her baby the bottle of expressed breast milk. She is amazing! And all while homeschooling her other children, helping her husband run the family business and show hospitality to numerous customers that come everyday to their house.

KEEP FIRST THINGS FIRST!!!!

" I guess now you have me wondering about those curriculum choices your are possibly changing, so what changes are you considering? "

"I remember that a while back you said that you had started using My Father's World. I was curious how you like it. Specifically how you feel that it fits in with your goals for your family. We have done Classical conversations this year and I am not pleased with the general direction of it. Specifically in the lack of Bible memorization and study. I am looking for new options for next year and was curious what you might have to say about My father's world. Thanks for any suggestions or input that you can provide!"

So many changes have been happening around here! The Lord has been speaking many new purposes into our homeschool! It makes me giggle sometimes when I look at all the changes we make in our home on a normal basis.  If you have ever been to my home, you know that things around here are always changin',  When am I not re-doing something. Sometimes I think I am crazy! But I know I am not! I just want God's best for our family! And the Lord is always very faithful to let me know when something in our home is not working for our family.

From the time that this question was asked until now curriculum has changed for us.  There are two curriculums that the Lord has ever directed me to beyond a shadow of a doubt.

-My Fathers World
-Advanced Training Institute (Wisdom Booklets)

For the past four years we have been using My Fathers World. I love it! It is a wonderful curriculum!
For a few years, I tried to use both curriculums. But I could never do it. But something inside of me just couldn't give up the Wisdom Booklets.  Every time I tried to use them I just couldn't figure them out. So I would give up and just go back to My Father's World.

But the Lord just kept putting things in my path to confirm  was not going in the right direction.

#1 One day I got a text from a friend whose son was at the ATI Headquarters doing an internship or something like that. :)  The text was from her son saying that she would never believe what happened. They were in a staff meeting and were each given an ATI family to pray for. And he got OUR FAMILY'S NAME!!!!!

I was in shock! But knew it was the Lord.

#2 One day my son got a call from a man from ATI and honestly, I thought my husband was calling and playing a joke on me. :)  But the more I listened in on the phone call, the more I realized it was not a joke. This man had called my son to teach him over the phone how to share the Lord with others.

I was so amazed! But again, I knew it was the Lord.

#3 This Summer while at the Vision Forum Food Conference, I attended the Cooking classes they offered.  And the person I sat next to just so happened to be Mrs. Duggar.  I asked her every question I could possibly think of that day. She gave me so much information about the Wisdom Books and how they make them work in their family. It was truly a gift from the Lord.

So after much prayer and preparation, my husband and I have decided to discontinue using My Father's World. Our main curriculum will be the ATI Wisdom Booklets. Our children will still continue their Individual studies. But all of our group teachings will come from the Wisdom Booklets.

I am working on a post on how we use the Wisdom Booklets in our family. The Lord has given me some very wonderful ideas!!!


As far as our scripture memorization method we use a wonderful method from Simply Charlotte Mason. You can read about it HERE


I will be more detailed about our school day in my next post about school. It will come up some time this week.

1 comment:

Renee said...

This post can only be the Lord's work. We are getting ready to place our order for MFW 2nd grade for my oldest son(6). We feel the Lord is leading us to MFW and also ATI and has for many years(since oldest was 3). I am very interested in how you get ATI to work in your family and what other curriculum you use for your children near 6 years old. Thanks.
God bless

you might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...